The economics department started functioning in the year 1969 with the inception of the college. Mr. Purnakanta Hazarika, founder Principal of the college was from this department and as such initially, the department flourished under his guidance. Mr. Sachindra Nath Saikia served as the first permanent head of the department in 1972. Since 1978 economics as a major course is being offered to undergraduate students to enhance their knowledge and prepare them for future opportunities. Many distinguished highly qualified faculties have contributed to the upliftment of the department from time to time. Some of them are Mr. Biren Baruah, Mrs. Basanti Baruah, Mr. Swapna Dutta, Mrs. Meena Mahanta, Mrs Monjula Hazarika and Mrs. Priyanki Saikia.
At present Mr. Niranjan Das is the head of the department along with 4 faculty members.
Total students in B.A. honours are 48.
THE PRESENT FACULTY MEMBERS OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. Mr. Mrinmoy Kr. Boruah, MA (Associate Professor)
2. Mr. Niranjan Das, MA, SLET (Assistant Professor, HOD)
3. Miss Siddika Banu, MA, M.Phil, NET (Assistant Professor)
4. Mrs. Puja Agarwal, MA, M.Phil, NET, SLET (Assistant Professor)
5. Mrs Debojani Bora, MA (Contractual)
THE RETIRED FACULTY MEMBERS OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. Mr. Sachindra Nath Saikia
2. Mrs. Anjali Pathak
3. Mrs. Rina Borah
4. Mrs. Jyotimali Mahanta
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
Vision of the Department is to impart effective knowledge with the students through quality teaching-learning approach.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Mission of the Department is to train the students in developing a scientific understanding of the Economy, Society, and current issues.
MESSAGE FROM THE HoD
The Department of Economics is one of the constituent departments of Duliajan College. The department\'s main aim is to acquaint students with the theoretical and practical problems of the local, national, and global economy. It helps the students to know the subjects through the qualitative way of teaching and learning. It also seeks to develop the students’ competencies of problem-solving, critical thinking, and policy formulation. The dedicated faculty members of the departments are devoted to enhancing the capabilities of the students and thereby enabling them to avail opportunities in various segments of the economy. The alumni of the department have distinguished themselves in both academic and administrative spheres. I am sure in times to come, many more students from our department will make an incredible mark nationally and internationally in the fields of economics and make us proud.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN THE DEPARTMENT
Besides the college library, the department has its own library which is used by both the teachers and students. There are around 500 books in the department library related to the courses. The department also has a laptop and LED TV in classrooms, wi-fi facilities accessible by the students.
• HS Arts, Science, Commerce under AHSEC
• Undergraduate course in Honours and Non-Honours under Dibrugarh University
• Honours- 30
• Non-Honours – 40 (as per the decision of the admission committee)
Criteria for offering honours in the department
• 10+2 passed or equivalent having Economics/Mathematics/Statistics with minimum 45%
STUDENTS’ ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
• Mayurima Gogoi- 2nd position in Mime (Dibrugarh University inter-college youth festival, DHSK college, 2016-17)
• Mayurima Gogoi- 1st position in Mime (Dibrugarh University inter-college youth festival-Sivsagar college, 2017-18)
• Mayurima Gogoi- 2nd position in Folk Song and 2nd position in Mime (Dibrugarh University inter-college youth festival, Gorgaon college, 2019-20)
• 2nd Best Department in the 46th Annual College Week, 2022
• 2nd Best Department in the 47th Annual College Week, 2023
• Saijal Begum- 2nd position in Rangoli (Dibrugarh University inter-college youth festival, Digboi Women’s College, 2022-23)
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
• National Webinar on Draft Environmental Impact Notification 2020: Opportunities and Challenges on 7th August, 2020
• Parents Teacher Meet on 09th February on 2021
• Teacher Exchange Program on 20th May, 2021
• Lecture Series by Ph.D. Scholar of Dibrugarh University on 21st October, 2021
• Quiz Competition on 10th December, 2021
• Seminar Presentation of 5th Semester (Honours) student on 28th January, 2022
• Parents Teacher Meet on 20th February, 2022
• Seminar Presentation of 6th Semester (Honours) student on 11th June, 2022
• Induction Programme for B.A. 1st Semester Students on 2nd August, 2022
• Parents Teacher Meet on 02th August on 2022
• ‘Manthan’; Lecture Series-1 by Karuna Phukan, Assistant Professor, Digboi College; Parswa Jyoti Neog, JDSG College; Assistant Professor, Kamalika Hazarika, Assistant Professor, Naharkatiya College on 30th August, 2022
• Seminar Presentation of 5th Semester (Honours) student on 22th October, 2022
• Manthan; Lecture Series-2 by Raj Chetry, SI, Assam Police on 13th March, 2023
• Education tour to Madhuban T.E. Factory on 12th June, 2023
Students have availed scholarships offered by UGC, OIL, Govt. of Assam etc.
PLACEMENT RECORD OF ALUMNUS
1. Dr Deepika Dutta Saikia (Assistant Professor, Duliajan Girls College)
2. Rudra Dutta (DGM, OIL)
3. Meena Mahanta (Administrative Officer, LIC)
4. Jyoti Gogoi (Assistant Professor, Margherita College)
5. Deepta Prasad Goswami (Advocate)
6. Manuj Kumar Tamuly (Placement officer, Dibrugarh University)
7. Jiban Bora (Entrepreneur and social worker)
8. Sumit Bhadra (Bank Officer and Writer)
9. Pranjal Saikia (Entrepreneur)
10. Shewali Dutta Saikia (Assistant Professor, Digboi College)
11. Karuna Phukan (Assistant Professor, Digboi College)
12. Kamalika Hazarika (Assistant Professor, Naharkatiya College)
13. Parswa Jyoti Neog (Assistant Professor, JDSG College)
14. Deep Modi (DO, LIC)
15. Sankarjyoti Baruah (Student leader & Social Worker)
16. Abhijit Das (Product Analysis, JPMorgan Chase & Co.)
17. Late Modira Saikia (Poet & Social worker)
18. Kiron Gogoi (OIL employee)
19. Gautam Borah (Assistant teacher, Chukpather, LPS)
20. Jyoti Moni Dutta (Assistant Teacher)
21. Gitu Kalita (Assistant Teacher)
22. Surajit Bharali (AGC employee)
23. Dambarudhar Basumatari (OIL employee)
24. Kaushik Dutta (OIL employee)
25. Nabajyoti Chetia (OIL employee)
26. Dhanmoni Nath (OIL employee)
27. Deepa Chetry (TET Teacher)
28. Pranab Borah (Assistant Teacher)
29. Puja Mandal (Assistant Teacher)
30. Sarat Charingia Phukan (Social Worker)
31. Prity Tamuly (Assistant Teacher)
32. Violina Saikia (Assistant Teacher)
33. Biswamitra Gogoi (Assistant Teacher)
34. Abhijit Borah (SI, Assam Police)
35. Raj Chetry (SI, Assam Police)
36. Sujata Saikia (Assistant Teacher)
37. Archana Sonowal (Assistant Teacher)
38. Rita Gohain Sonowal (Assistant Teacher, Morigaon)
39. Monjula Hazarika (Subject teacher, St. Xaviers’ H.S. School)
40. Monuj Gowala (Subject teacher, Oil Higher Secondary School, Duliajan)
41. Nabanita Neog (TET Teacher)
42. Satyajeet Borthakur (Junior Assistant, Tingkhong)
43. Debajit Gogoi (Junior Assistant, PWD, Naharkatia)
Study materials and learning resources have been provided through google classroom, WhatsApp group etc.
ANNUAL ACTION PLAN OF THE DEPARTMENT
• The department is planning to organize an inter-departmental seminar and quiz competition in the month of September, 2023
• The department is planning to conduct a field survey in the month of November, 2023
• The department is also planning to enhance publications through Wall Magazine and departmental journal.
FUTURE PLAN OF THE DEPARTMENT
• To generate interest among the students to study Economics with regard to real-world economic phenomena.
• To grow the students through the motivation that they can develop the capability to engage themselves in productive employment with emerging entrepreneurial skills.
• To encourage the students to take part in various competition and get connected to reputed higher institutions across the Globe.